The Front Runner
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Front Runner

Sports Talk Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Cheltenham - postscript

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Covkid
AMBASSADOR
AMBASSADOR
Covkid

Cheltenham - postscript Empty
PostSubject: Cheltenham - postscript   Cheltenham - postscript EmptyMon Mar 17, 2014 3:22 pm

See below from todays Times..................thought it interesting..............

After a week of upsets and bad breaks, there is no room for complacency over jump racing’s greatest meeting
Many will recognise the post-Cheltenham blues, that sense of weary emptiness once it is over. This year, after a Festival of furious pace and intensity, broken bones and hearts, bewildering results and uplifting emotion, the withdrawal was harsher than ever.
Was it an epic meeting? Probably not, when so many of the expected stars were beaten. From Irving and Hurricane Fly on the first day, through Annie Power and Big Buck’s and so to that extraordinary Gold Cup, the horses that commanded so many advance words and wagers failed to deliver.
In the feature races, the one favourite to triumph was the one that many had doubted. Sire De Grugy’s victory in the Champion Chase, for his wonderfully unpretentious connections, was the high point of a week that contained much to admire but also much to ponder. These were the lessons of the Festival:

1 Willie Mullins may be the first trainer ever to end Cheltenham with four winners and feel disappointed. On Friday night, he was still shaking his head over the defeat of Champagne Fever and the fall of Briar Hill. Watching his Festival team exercise at breakfast-time each morning would have turned any rival trainer green – the travelling party of 40 alone formed a stable of astonishing potential. If Mullins takes his British raids still more seriously next season, he could easily be champion trainer.

2 It was an attritional week, no point pretending otherwise. Even on perfect ground, four horses died and that will always be four too many. Certain reactions, though, turned the stomach more than the losses themselves. Animal Aid predictably used them to pursue an agenda against racing, while sections of the media relished another stick with which to beat a sport that offers heroics aplenty, yet commands headlines only through death, drugs and corruption. Aintree, next month, will once more see racing on a tightrope.

3 If punters wait all year for Cheltenham, think what it is like for the jockeys – and then think how many ended it in hospital. Bryan Cooper, the meteor of Irish jump jockeys, faces a prolonged battle to ride again after breaking his leg with hideous complexity. Daryl Jacob and Ruby Walsh will both be off for several months with compound fractures. Spare a thought, too, for Jason Maguire, who never even made it to Cheltenham. For him, and his family, it became an irrelevance until he survived the critical hours after liver surgery. Jumps riders are not just the toughest of sportspeople but the most honest, compassionate and uncomplaining.

4 The camaraderie of jump racing is a cliché but also a truism, demonstrated time and again even within the pressure cooker of the Festival. When Nicky Henderson was beaten in the Champion Hurdle, his first gracious thought was for the sick husband of the winning trainer, Jessie Harrington. When Jacob buried his head in his hands after a tight photo-finish, the first arm around him was that of the victor, Richard Johnson. And when Tony McCoy, barely able to walk, was asked about his pain, he said: “It’s nothing, compared to Bryan Cooper.” It is the communal ability to express such feelings that sets this sport apart.

5 Nothing has altered my view that Cheltenham should be refining its schedule, not adding further to it. The fourth day has been so successful that it is a strain to recall how everything once squeezed into three, but such praise cannot extend to all the additional races. At least two of the handicaps are make-weights with no place at this level. It is often said, even by some who should know better, that they offer opportunities to those who might normally feel excluded. The Festival, though, is not supposed to embrace mediocrity. Cut back to six races a day and start at 2pm. Allow this elite event to breathe.

6 The remit for Channel 4, when it won the exclusive contract for British racing, was to broaden the sport’s audience. Instead, it seems to be losing the audience it already had. Despite an encouraging increase on Gold Cup day, some of the figures for last week’s coverage were of grave concern. How many switched off after the barmy Tuesday item featuring a pig as a tipster would be interesting to know. As a better recipe for engaging more people with the business of racing, the evening sale in the parade ring on Thursday was a resounding success and must be repeated.

7 Thirteen whip bans were handed out, indicating that it may be time for stern reminders that the much-revised rules could yet be reinforced. The rules became a battleground in 2012 and no one wants a return to the ill feeling and posturing of that period, but time may have erased the lessons learnt on both sides. A return to the win-at-all-costs attitudes of old would be hugely detrimental to the sport.

8 Similar re-education is required over starting protocols. Cheltenham races are run faster than anywhere else, which is as it should be, but that does not mean they should start before the tapes go up. Several races, the Gold Cup included, featured shambolic starts, with horses in a canter even before they had emerged from holding areas. Jockeys should be routinely banned for such indiscipline. False starts are an embarrassment. They need eradicating before Aintree.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cheltenham - postscript   Cheltenham - postscript EmptyMon Mar 17, 2014 5:33 pm

Got it about right I'd say
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cheltenham - postscript   Cheltenham - postscript EmptyTue Mar 18, 2014 1:42 am

Think you are right there Phil.

too my mind and I don't know why. it was a good cheltenham as it always is,but not a great one,there didn't seem to be the same buzz in the bookies after a race,

still we've got Aintree to come  bounce bounce 
Back to top Go down
puppy
LEGENDARY
LEGENDARY
puppy

PostSubject: Re: Cheltenham - postscript   Cheltenham - postscript EmptyTue Mar 18, 2014 8:38 am

The Champion Chase field had its knockers and there were 'surprise' winners of the other three Championship contests - can you see any of the protagonists playing a leading role again in 12 months' time?
Michael Shinners: The Champion Hurdle had a particularly unsatisfactory feel after the terrible fall of Our Conor and the The New One being badly impeded. However, you can't take away from Jezki the performance he produced, with Barry Geraghty giving him a perfect ride. The New One is the obvious one to take from the race and must hold a massive chance in next year's race. Sire De Grugy was very good and given an excellent ride from Jamie Moore. Of course you can argue that it wasn't the strongest field, but the way he travelled into the race was incredibly impressive. More Of That was brilliant in the Ladbrokes World Hurdle and probably hasn't had the credit he deserves. The 4/1 offered after the race looked very tempting. The Betfred Gold Cup was one of the most exciting races I have ever seen. It's fair to say that the big two in the betting didn't run up to their best form and I would be surprised if Lord Windermere retained his crown next year.
Ben Coley: Starting at the top, it's difficult to see Jezki winning the Champion Hurdle again next year as, without even considering the novices, I would expect The New One to beat him. I also get the distinct impression that The New One's connections are desperate to prove that Tuesday's defeat was an unfortunate one which should ensure that he runs here and not over further or fences. Sire De Grugy was excellent and with the Arkle not likely to prove any sort of guide it's difficult to see where the dangers come from bar of course Sprinter Sacre - it's to be hoped he is sound next year and we're served up a fascinating battle. More Of That could definitely come back and win another World Hurdle - in fact I'd say he will do just that - and Lord Windermere's Cheltenham record means he can't be ruled out, even if he meets something a little classier next year. Like Champagne Fever, perhaps?

Cheltenham - postscript SuiBack Champagne Fever for the 2015 Gold Cup at 14/1

Ben Linfoot: All four should be respected given they are the reigning champions, but two in particularly look sure to play major roles again next year; More Of That and Sire De Grugy. It was a weak renewal of the Champion Chase, but Sire De Grugy was clearly streets ahead of his opposition and with Champagne Fever set to go up in trip very little from the Arkle looks like making an impact on the division next season. Who knows what will happen with Sprinter Sacre, so SDG could well reign again. More Of That was the most impressive champion of the week for me. He maintained the unbeaten start to his career from a fantastic runner-up in the style of a very good horse. This division has a habit of throwing up multiple winners and I'd want to be on the right side of him for next year. The Champion Hurdle and Gold Cup were unsatisfactory contests with winners who look unlikely to back up next year. The New One was extremely unlucky in the Champion and I think he would've won fairly easily but for being hampered by the fall of the ill-fated Our Conor. Jezki did well to see off My Tent Or Yours, but things went very smoothly for him and I'd be surprised if he won it again. The Gold Cup was a thrilling race, but I'm still wondering what to make of it. Lord Windermere was beaten over the distance off a mark of 154 in the Hennessy and had looked an average winner of the previous year's RSA. He outstayed them, but it's hard to think of too many worse winners in the last 30 years and I couldn't have him on my mind to back up - he was fortunate to win this year's given the interference late on. This season's RSA looked a good race and a fresh injection of blood in next year's Gold Cup could see a completely different result.
Will Hayler: More Of That is quite a big horse and I suspect he might not have been entirely straightforward to train - even though his trainer has never admitted as much - given the way he is ruled out and then back in for the World Hurdle every few days during the final weeks of build-up. That said, he's got an obvious chance of repeating presuming connections decide to stay over hurdles as the form of his victory stacks up very well.
Annie Power - Champion Hurdle? Mares' Hurdle? World Hurdle? Arkle? RSA? How would you map out her 2014/15 campaign?
MS: She is so keen in her races that there would be a worry she would properly stay the trip in an RSA unless she learnt to settle properly. If Quevega retired, the Mares' Hurdle is the obvious option otherwise perhaps the Arkle might be the target.
BC: I would be surprised were she to line up in the World Hurdle. It's not that she doesn't get the trip - clearly, she got home well enough - but that she's going to be more effective over shorter. With Hurricane Fly most unlikely to win a third Champion Hurdle and Vautour set to go over fences, I imagine Willie Mullins would love to campaign her for a Champion and she'd be a major player in that given her allowance. However, if I owned her and her alone, her size and style of racing would lead me to fences. She could be something else over them - particularly if they help her to settle - and it'll surely be difficult for connections to resist that temptation even if it does mean a potential clash with Vautour.

Cheltenham - postscript SuiBack Annie Power at 10/1 to win next year's Champion Hurdle!

BL: It depends on where she slots in compared to Willie Mullins' other stable stars, but if she were campaigned independently of her stablemates I'd go chasing with her. If she takes to fences then the JLT looks an obvious race with the view to stepping her up in trip as she gets older and learns to settle better. Her second to More Of That was a fantastic effort and she remains a mare with an extremely bright future.
WH: She's not over-big, but Annie Power does look to have the right shape and certainly the right attitude to go to the top over fences. As Ben says above, she'll need to slot in around her stablemates, especially Briar Hill and Faugheen, so I'd be tempted to throw her into the mix against more experienced rivals after a couple of novice chase spins rather than staying in novice company all season long. What I do suspect though is that Rich Ricci didn't necessarily get things the way he would have preferred when she ran in the World Hurdle and I reckon he'll be more firmly in the driving suit regarding future plans from now onwards.
A feature of the week was the performance of Willie Mullins' novices. Were you particularly impressed with any of the winners (or losers)?
MS: I thought Vautour was awesome in the Sky Bet Supreme. He takes lengths out of his rivals at his hurdles and looks an incredible talent, whichever race he targets next year I will be cheering him on!
BC: He would be my favourite for the Champion were I certain that was to be the target, but fences were talked about quite strongly afterwards so it's hard to justify a bet at this stage. I love the way he got from one side of a hurdle to the next and personally I'd love to see him kept over them for now, even if the two-mile novice chase division could be a weak-ish one. On a side note, fair play for team Mullins for keeping secret the fact that he was in a "different league" to Faugheen, because literally nobody appeared to know and he went off 4/1 to Faugheen's 6/4.
BL: Out of the two obvious ones I was taken by Faugheen who just looks an absolute machine. I can't believe how easily he won by considering his mistakes at the fourth last and third last. He winged the final obstacle and he's going to be some chaser - as long as he treats fences with more respect as he surely will.
WH: Even if you accept that Noel Meade's horses were out of sorts at the time, it's hard not to think that Briar Hill would have gone close in the Albert Bartlett on his earlier form with Very Wood. He could be an RSA Chase horse next season. I can't disagree with any of the above comments though. Vautour and Faugheen were both highly impressive.
Did either Triolo D'Alene or Teaforthree enhance their Crabbie's Grand National claims in the Gold Cup?
MS: Not really. I thought they both had hard races, particularly Teaforthree who mixed it with On His Own for a good part of the race. The horse that may have gone under the radar was The Package who ran really well in the Festival Handicap.

Cheltenham - postscript SuiBack The Package at 33/1 for the Grand National!

BC: I don't think so really, although nor did they diminish their credentials. Of the two, Triolo D'Alene arguably ran the more encouraging race although clearly, Teaforthree gets to run off a good mark at Aintree and is proven over the National fences. Prices of 10/1 about Teaforthree don't appeal but he's a worthy favourite, no doubt about it.
BL: Both ran well and out of the two Teaforthree looks the more likely to play a big part at Aintree. He's already been there and run a blinder in the big one and his effort in the Gold Cup just shows he could well be feasibly treated - and it was further evidence that he loves jumping and galloping on good ground.
WH: Had Teaforthree been ridden more conservatively, he might well have been in the reckoning for the places, but connections of course weren't to know how the race would pan out. In the circumstances, I thought he ran well. I'd backed Triolo D'Alene for the National before the Gold Cup, but didn't actually take much encouragement from his run. He looked a bit laboured from the second last and gave the final fence a hefty clout, which McCoy did quite well to survive.
Champagne Fever was beaten by an outsider in the Arkle. Do you believe he can go on to win a King George or Gold Cup as connections hope?
MS: He must be a player in the King George, although whether Kempton would be his track is open to debate.
BC: Absolutely, but there's a danger we underestimate Western Warhorse. Clearly, he surprised connections but he appears a horse with a good deal of latent ability and will arguably have been more inconvenienced than Champagne Fever by the two mile trip of the Arkle. In terms of the King George, again it's important not to forget that this race hasn't been much of a speed test in recent years so Champagne Fever would have to prove that he gets home. That being said I don't envisage it being a problem and at 10/1 or thereabouts he appears fairly - if not spectacularly - priced up. I'd rather be on Silviniaco Conti even at 6/1, though. For the Gold Cup, the only one I'd consider backing right now is O'Faolains Boy but he'll probably available at a much bigger price at some point next season.
BL: I think he has a very bright future stepped up in trip and the way he jumped at speed in the Arkle bodes well. He was mugged, but history shows defeat in the Arkle is no barrier to top stayers and those two targets look obvious options. I'm sure he will win or go close in at least one of them at some point in his career.
WH: I genuinely still have no idea how he got beaten. I can't explain it in any way. It's possible you might find me in an old peoples' home in about 40 years' time sitting there, still shaking my head and wondering. Indeed, I'm too bewildered to try and answer the question.
What was your favourite performance/moment of the week (human, equine or anything else?
MS: Sheikh Mirdad rode the perfect tactical race in the charity race and was unlucky to only finish third!
BC: I'll go with a Friday treble for Davy Russell. It's been a rough year but to my eye he's remained professional, dedicated and, above all, one of the most dependable riders in the weighing-room. In a rough-and-tumble week, he represents a triumph for the understated, hard-working jockey and fully deserved his day in the limelight.
BL: I did enjoy Jim Culloty-cam during the closing moments of the Gold Cup. He went from little hope, to faint hope, to we-could-nick-a-place, to we-could-win-this, to pure unbridled joy in the time it took Lord Windermere run the last quarter-of-a-mile. The joys of racing in a nutshell.
WH: Sire De Grugy and Jamie Moore. "Everyone seems to hate Ryan, but he's not that bad. They like the rest of us anyway." Enjoyable stuff.
One horse, one race, one bet for the 2015 Cheltenham Festival please.
MS: Taquin De Seuil, Gold Cup.
BC: More Of That, World Hurdle.
BL: My Tent Or Yours, Arkle.
WH: Le Bec, Gold Cup
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cheltenham - postscript   Cheltenham - postscript Empty

Back to top Go down

Cheltenham - postscript
Page 1 of 1